Saturday, February 11, 2006

In Unusual Request, TSA Seeks $10 Million to Address High Turnover

HIGH TURNOVER AQT THE TSA

Take it from someone who knows. I've worked in the area of Law Enforcement for about five years. Recently I aplied for a posititon as a screener for the TSA. It was a computerized test consisting of four parts. Some of it was questions and some you had to identify contriband. I can't tell you any more than that for security reasons. What bothers me immensly is that within an hour after leaving and returning home and checking my email, I was surprised to see an email saying that I didn't make it. No human being ever looked at the results. There were no questions nor did they ask for a resume of my work history. No questions whatso ever as to how well I performed as a security person up to that point.
The second point I want to make is that I found out from a source who works for the government was that the TSA can hire or fire a person for no reason at all. You can be fired for how you look or act or even for a simple mistake. Now I ask you, how is that going to look on your resume that you were fired from a government job. Not good at all.
The other thing is the working hours. The TSA can make you work whenever They want without regard for the employee. or his or her desires. I don't even want to go into management. All I can say is it is not good. That is why, boys and girls there is a very large turnover. The jerks in government and the jerks in management just don't get it.
You have to treat your employees decently. You need to treat them with the respect they deserve. It takes a certain type of personality that no computer in the world can ferrit out. Personally if you had more Human interaction in the hiring process the TSA will find the type of person they are looking for. You can bank on that.
I'll tell you why there is high turn over. Stress both from superiors and stress from unreasonable passengers. Try as you might, you can't be nice to everyone and there will always be someone who is offendee. It goes with the territory. The sooner management learns that and backs us up the better we can do our jobs. Believe me, the customer is NOT always right. Ain' t that the truth?

No comments: